Google+ Followers

Translate

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow by Email

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Instructions for the Christmas Garland/Banner

Sorry, had to remove the pictures for publishing.

Supplies:

Approximately 9" long wired garland. Mine is made of pearls, but there are all kinds out there!

Wooden stocking with jingle bells. Mine are from Hobby Lobby

Patterned paper of your choice. I just used one sheet of green and one sheet of pink and green (Anna Griffin) and a little scrap of a red/pink polka dot from KI.

Chipboard letters to glitter, or already glittered letters.

Three wooden or chipboard snowflakes.

Red and silver glitter.

Mod Podge and spray sealer.

Stamp pad or chalk if desired for aging/edging.

Red and green tulle. Mine is white and came in a 5.5" wide roll. See tip below for painting tulle.

Thin wire. I used some from 100 years ago when I first started scrapping in my stash.

Cream satin ribbon. Mine is 3.65 m wide.

Six wired ball ornaments. I found them where they have the miniature or smaller scale decorations for Christmas trees.

Glue gun to attach snowflakes to stocking.





The wire pearl garland I found at Joanne's for two bucks. I twisted it around itself lengthwise three times to fit across Sara's mirror.

Unscrew the bells from the stocking. Trace the stocking shape onto pattern paper and cut them out. I adhered mine with Mod Podge, but you can just use whatever adhesive you like. Edge with a brown ink if you like. Reattach the jingle bells.



Cover wooden or chipboard snowflakes with silver glitter. My snowflakes came from Oriental Trading, but there are wooden ones at the craft store. Spray with a spray sealer to keep the glitter in place - works great.

I used the Storybook cartridge from Cricut for the "Ho Ho Ho" letters on the "shorty" setting. I used red cardstock then covered in red glitter and spray sealed.

These wooden stockings came with a little hole for hanging. But I didn't want it hanging too much at an angle, so I taped the wire as shown so it would hang a bit straighter:



It's thin wire, but I just ran it through the hole and across to the other side and secured with tape.

For the poofy netting behind the bows, I used four 8" long pieces of tulle behind each bow. My tulle came on a roll and is 5.5" wide. What I had on hand was white, so I just painted some red and some bright green. Just lay out a sheet of parchment paper or foil, paint the netting with acrylic paint with a foam brush, and you're good to go. Or buy it in the right color to begin with is even easier :) They have colored tulle on rolls and also in the fabric department on bolts. I've found more colored tulle on bolts than on the rolls.

Anyway, lay two red 8" pieces alternating with two green 8" pieces of tulle like in the picture below. You can secure with a bit of wire to make your poof now or wait until you have the bow and ball together and use the wire from the balls to secure the net to the garland. That's what I did.



With the wide satin cream ribbon, make a fat bow, but don't pull it tight yet. Run the wired balls up through the back of the knot of the bow, like this:



Well, the picture is dark and you have to look hard to see the wire poking through the knot.

Tighten the bow. Mine is about 3" wide when done.

Take the bow/ornament, gather up the layered tulle in the center and wrap the wire around the tulle and garland to secure all the pieces together.

This one is in Sara's room and she LOVES it! I'm going to make two more for friends and one for Emily's room. If you make one, let me know so I can see!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

WOW! This is gorgeous! Thanks for the tut!

Melissa said...

This is absolutely gorgeous and I love all of the detail you provided. I try and make decorations for my home but it doesn't look like this. I look forward to seeing more.